Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute (SBP) is paving the way to address unmet clinical needs in cancer, neuroscience, immunity, metabolic disorders and rare diseases. By blending fundamental research with robust drug discovery, we are working to develop treatments that will improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute conducts world-class collaborative research dedicated to finding cures for human disease, improving quality of life, and educating and training the next-generation of scientists, thus creating a legacy for its employees, partners, donors, and community.
Who We Are
- SBP is people – scientists, postdoctoral candidates, graduate students and support staff – who work collaboratively for the benefit of patients.
- As an independent, nonprofit institution, we focus on conducting research in cancer, neuroscience, immunity and disorders of metabolism.
- SBP is home to one of the most comprehensive non-profit drug discovery platforms, is dedicated to research in childhood diseases, and pioneers advances in molecular stem cell research.
- Our innovation drives our strategic partnerships with the biotech and pharmaceutical industry.
- We care about and cultivate the next wave of innovative scientists through our graduate program and the breadth of our scientific labs.
SBP employs nearly 900 scientists and staff in San Diego (La Jolla), CA and Orlando (Lake Nona), Florida. We are widely recognized for our NCI-designated Cancer Center, the Conrad Prebys Center for Chemical Genomics and the Sanford Children’s Health Research Center.