Date and time
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM PT
What is the story of Juneteenth?
We will discuss this specifically African-American celebration of joy and Black Freedom and discuss lengthier histories of inclusion and community. This conversation will be an opportunity for us to learn how Black Americans have stepped into freedom and how we can learn from and respectfully observe these struggles as they continue today.
T.J. Tallie, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of History
Director of the Africana Studies Minor
University of San Diego
We invite you to reflect on the significance of Juneteenth in your life, to learn more, celebrate, and support Black & African American culture and communities.
- Read and learn
- Watch and learn
- Listen and learn
- Educate youth
- Support local, Black-owned businesses
- Create spaces to have brave conversations about race
- Attend a Juneteenth celebration (free to attend, click for dates and more):
- “Buses are Coming: Photographs, videos, augmented reality” (San Diego African American Museum of Fine Arts @ Quartyard)
- Juneteenth Community BBQ (Surfrider @ La Jolla)
- Healing the Community Festival (Memorial Park)
- Juneteenth Summer Celebration of Culture (Lincoln Park)
- Annual Juneteenth Celebration (Menifee)
- Juneteenth and Friends (La Mesa)
- Annual Juneteenth Celebration (Oceanside)